Some consider iodine deficiency to be the most common cause of preventable brain damage. Iodine helps metabolize fats which are a major component of the brain. A lack of iodine manifests itself as hypothyroidism. Here are some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism:
- Goiter…swollen neck
- Fatigue…poor metabolism
- Muscle aches
- Cold feet and hands
- Weight gain without greater food intake
- Dry skin and thinning hair
- Less libido
- Mental decline…forgetful…mentally sluggish
Iodine can be detected in virtually every organ and tissue of the body. Of course the highest levels are found in the thyroid, but iodine is essential in other tissues of the body as well. The muscle and fat tissues are two that also need the highest concentrations for optimal health.
One fifth of the body’s iodine is stored in the skin and with an iodine deficiency, dry skin results. Sweat glands and lachrymal glands are storage places for iodine. The thyroid gland is the largest storehouse of iodine in the body. It is essential to the two thyroid hormones.
Endocrinologist Guy E. Abraham, M.D. is arguably the world’s foremost expert on iodine and the thyroid. He maintains that iodine is the treatment of choice for both a lack of thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) and hyperthyroidism which is too much thyroid hormone.
Dr. Bruce West reports on the subject of “whole body iodine sufficiency” and says this:
- Goiter can be eliminated or reduced
- Overstressed pituitary gland that creates high thyroid stimulating hormone releases can be reduced.
- Excess heavy metals and thyroid poisoning can be reduced
- Enhanced liver detoxification is accelerated
- Obesity control is improved
- Diabetes and hypertension is more easily controlled
- A decreased occurrence of fibrocystic breast disease results
- Improved menopausal symptoms occurs
- Resolution of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome can be found
- Less brain fog and better brain function occur
- Less heart arrhythmias and better heart function results
- Reduced thyroid and breast cancer rates occur
There may be iodine deficiency where breast cancer occurs. Studies in Japan, where consumption of increased amounts of iodine occurs, demonstrate a breast cancer rate that is the lowest in the world. A typical diet for Japanese women would have 500 mcg to 800 mcg. Seafood consumption, rich in iodine, is one explanation given for the higher levels of iodine.
A lack of iodine produces a tumorous swelling of the neck called goiter. It is a proliferation of the thyroid gland trying to produce thyroxin, the hormone that regulates the body metabolism. Fortunately with iodine added to most table salt, goiter is less common now. Dr. Whitaker recommends at least 150 micrograms per day.
Dr. Bruce West, who has successfully treated tens of thousands of heart disease patients with nutritional supplements, says this: “It is rare indeed that I do not prescribe iodine in some form or another for any heart patient.” That is because the heart requires plenty of iodine to beat smoothly and strongly and because many people are iodine deficient”. Arrhythmias that are unsuccessfully treated with drugs will often respond successfully to iodine supplementation…Denis Van Loan D.D.S.
For more information on heart disease and arrhythmias check out this link: http://naturalhealthsecrets.ws/847/heart-failure-magnesium-msg-statins-ome/